Friday, February 21, 2014

Young enters Hanson BOS race

 

Campaign announcement


BY BRUCE R. YOUNG 594 INDIAN HEAD ST., HANSON


I am announcing my candidacy for a threeyear term on the Board of Selectmen for the May 17

annual Town Election. For those who may not be familiar with my prior service to the Town of Hanson, I have served on the Finance Committee as a member and Chairman during the first difficult two years of the implementation of Proposition 2½ and as a chairman and member of the Board of Selectmen, the Board of Water Commissioners and Hanson Historical Commission, and as a member of Plymouth County Advisory Board, the Building Inspector Investigative Panel, and the Memorial Day and Patriotic Observance Committee. I am a longtime member of the Board of Directors of the Hanson Historical Society and a charter member and former president of the Massachusetts Old Colony Antique Phonograph Society.

During my volunteer time serving our town, I obtained funding and assisted in Completing the town’s first statecertified survey of historic buildings and places in Hanson and helped establish Hanson’s first two national and state recognized Historic Sites: The Camp Kiwanee Historic District and Old School House No. 4. I have also worked on countless fundraising efforts including many plays, to help preserve and improve the Needles Lodge and Camp
Kiwanee. I authored and successfully proposed the first initiative petition for the town’s first recall law, researched and proposed the initiative petition to modernize and consolidate the handling, collection, and investments of town financial receipts and borrowing through the creation of the first appointed treasurer/collector position. I proposed the first executive secretary position to the Board of Selectmen (later to become the town administrator position), and helped lead the successful movement to secure the beautiful 111acre property off Elm Street, now known as the Smith/ Nawazelski Conservation area. An agreement with the state to manage this property later resulted in a $250,000 windfall for the town.

My service on the Building Inspector Review Panel helped provide the catalyst that led to the dismissal, investigation, indictments and conviction of two former town officials for criminal conflict of interest and violating the
public trust. I proposed and prepared on behalf of the Historical Commission the Towns first major Community Preservation Act project for Historical Purposes, which resulted in the purchase and preservation of a beloved town landmark, the Nathaniel Thomas Mill Building, property and water rights under the control of our Conservation Commission.

I have always served the people of the town of Hanson with a straight-forward, nonpolitical approach to town government, with an emphasis on transparency, and serving the people with honesty, integrity and fairness.

I am a proud fiscal conservative, and was employed for 35 years prior to my retirement as a corporate treasurer/ controller and accountant.

My wife and I have always loved Hanson, and our two children were raised and educated here, and now two of our grandchildren are pupils in the WHRSD. I want people to trust and have confidence that their Board of Selectmen is listening to them, and that personal and political agendas never override what may be affordable and best for our citizens. Town attorneys must always understand that they are employed to give honest and accurate opinions of the law, and not just formulate opinions that appeal to the majority wishes or agendas of board
members. With your support and with your help, together we can work toward making Hanson an even better place to live. I ask for your support on May 17.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share